Thursday, September 19, 2013

Top 5 Songs: The Best of the Notorious B.I.G.

Yay, it's Thursday!
Which means Friday's tomorrow, Yay!

Ha ha, ok. For today's post I figured I'd do a musical one, and touch on a genre I don't usually talk a lot about: Rap.

It's not that I don't care for rap; I do, just the classic old school to 90's rap. So I said, eh, what the hell and decided to write one about the Biggie Smalls, a.k.a. The Notorious B.I.G.
That and I'm currently stuck on newcomer singer Lorde and her song "Royals". At first I though she was pretentious after watching the music video a bit, but then the song became stuck in my head because it's so damn catchy.

Here's what I'm talking about:


Yep, you've just been Lorde-rolled:)

Actually this another song, a mash-up of her song "Love Club" and Biggie's song "Can I get witcha" called "Can I get witcha love club" has also been playing on my playlist non-stop. So yeah, Biggie's been on my mind lately.



Biggie was only in the rap came for a few years before his untimely death in March of '97, but he still left behind him a rich legacy of music that still endures and influences new and up and coming rappers today.

So, here's a Top 5 list of my all-time favorite Biggie Smalls rap songs.....


5). "Can I get witcha/Hypnotize"

Can I get witcha is a current favorite since I've been playing a mash-uped version of it, but it's also very funny, and straight up vintage Biggie.

Hypnotize is a favorite for the back beat more than anything. If you haven't already heard it, you have now:



4). "Dreams of fucking an R&B Bitch"

To me this truly a funny and twisted-ass song. It's basically Biggie rapping about all the R&B singers he'd like to bang, and there's a lot of them. Even poor young Raven Simone from the Cosby Show gets thrown in the fantasy mix. Here's a sample:

"As I sit back relax
Steam a blunt, sip a Becks
Think about the sexy singers that I wanna sex

I'd probably go to jail
For fuckin' Patti Labelle
Ooh Regina Belle, she'd probably do me swell
Jasmine Guy was fly
Mariah Carey's kinda scary
Wait a minute, what about my honey Mary?"

Ha ha, love it!

3). "Gimme the loot"
This is pretty much all about jacking some poor guy or girl of their jewelry or money or whatever they have on them. It's a pretty funny hypothetical situation that reads like Biggie's done this sort of thing before. Maybe more than a few time? ;)


2). "Big Poppa"

I was in 6th grade when I first heard this one. Yes lord, all of us white kids rapped the hell of out this at the time, and I was no different. It has an awesome back beat that is sampled from the song "Between the sheets" by the Isley Brothers, and of course Biggie's lyrics just kill it.

Here's a quick sample:

"(I love it when you call me Big Pop-pa)
Throw your hands in the air, if youse a true player
(I love it when you call me Big Pop-pa)
To the honies gettin money playin niggaz like dummies
(I love it when you call me Big Pop-pa)
If you got a gun up in your waist please don't shoot up the place
Cause I see some ladies tonight who should be havin my baby"

Damn. If only I could lines like that and get away with it:)

1). "Ten Crack Commandments"

He says it from the very beginning that this is a manual on how to be a drug dealer, and he's not lying. Not that I've taken his advice, but if I did, and had some good connections and a healthy disrespect for the law, I could maybe see my career as a drug dealer lasting a bit....or all of a week;)

I love the fact that he samples a countdown by Chuck D of Public Enemy, because I really love that group, so anyone that samples or shows that kind of influence is cool by me. Plus it's just a good, funny song that's really real.


Hope you enjoyed the brief tour of my 5 favorites hits of Biggie's. Let me know what you think, and what you're top 5 are if you're a fan of his.

Have a good weekend people. I'm out this bitch 'til Monday......

6 comments:

Randomnerd said...

I must confess, I know absolutely no B.I.G. songs. But the House was fun to read as ever.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

If ya don't know, now ya know:)
Thx for the support my very white friend;)

IADW said...

Lorde, it's hardcase seeing her take off globally so quickly, when some kiwi muso's struggle undeservedly for ages. She's a kiwi and lives in Auckland, through from the way her music's gone, probably not for long. Hey if she goes north we'll have a vacancy - who wants in?!

As for Notorious, I have to say I like Rappers and Hip Hop folk singing about him, more than I ever liked his actual music. But hey, he has a bigger following than me playing the bagpipes, so the dudes gotta have done somethin right!

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@Dan: A Kiwi huh? I thought she was a Brit. Cool. So you don't care for her then? It';s cool with me either way. Like I said, when I first saw watched the video I just got this vibe off her like she was pretentious. It could just be me, but that fucking song is catchy as fuck! It's been two weeks, and it's still playing in my head in rotation non-stop! Idk about you guys, but that tends to happen to me often. Last time was The Weeknd 's "Wicked Games" and then Summertime sadness before that.

I'm sure as an ex-dj you more than know how that goes:)

As for Biggie, I like some of his stuff. He only made two albums, and yet its his legacy that endures more than anything else.

IADW said...

I like her song, it's just it was everywhere here and you couldn't escape it, then just as it started to fade the world got it and now it's in all the imported tv shows and websites you like, like this one :)

And yup DJs always have songs stuck in their head, and the mixes aren't always good as you might think. Right now my mind is playing army by the White Stripes, and Alicia Keys will probably pop up after the latest in News, Weather and sport at the top of the hour. Stay tuned ;)

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@Dan: Wow, didn't know that, but I can definitely sympathize with the feeling all too well.

You're a riot mate. Weatherman Dan ya
'll:)

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...