Welcome to yet another edition of
where once a week or so I pit comic characters or teams of comic characters against each other in a last man standing battle to see who survives and who falls.
This week I'm pitting two heroes with histories of mental illness, Moon Knight and the Badger, against each other to see who'll be the last loon standing...or something like that.
I've never really talked much about Mike Baron's Badger here before, even though his creation's been around since the early 80's.
The Badger is really a former vietnam veteran named Norbert Sykes, who also just so happens to have as serious case of MPD, or multiple personality disorder, brought on by a rough childhood with an abusive stepfather, and further exacerbated by his time serving in Vietnam.
He has a total of 6 personalities including that of his superheroic identity The Badger.
Here's all of them in total:
Personalities of the Badger
- Norbert Sykes: This is his legal identity.
- The Badger: A martial arts expert (4th or 5th dan in Shōrin-ryū karate, plus many other arts) costumed vigilante dispensing bare-fisted justice to bullies and aggressors of the innocent, but according to his own warped perceptions. He often defends animals or environmental causes.
- Emily: 9-year-old girl. Related to childhood abuse at the hands of Sykes' stepfather Rollin Sykes.
- Pierre: Homicidal personality who speaks with a French accent. First appeared when Ham tried to awaken Sykes from his first Emily personality transformation.
- Leroy: A dog. Sykes had a dog named Leroy that his father Larry beat to death.
- Gastineau Grover Depaul: Inner city African American; he is unaware of the other Personalities.
- Max Swell: Architect. Early on, Max was written as a modern epicurean and sophisticated playboy, but appeared to morph into a stereotypical gay man later in the series.
So yeah, he's batshit crazy, but he can still maintain a normal for him type of life.
And of course we all know how legit mentally ill Moon Knight is so I don't think I have to remind of his own personal struggle MPD as well.
Alright, let's compare their respective stats shall we?
|Abilities||expert martial artist and talking to animals|
Yes that's right, when he's in the personality of the Badger, he can actually make like Dr. Doolittle and talk to the animals. He also seems to have a special empathetic connection with them as well, so yeah, I guess he's like the MPD-having, martial artist version of Animal Man.
So there you go, I'm having these two lunatics fight other for no other reason than my very own entertainment. How very reality tv show producer of me, I know ;)
Who wins and why?