Okay so I was reading a random Wizard from back in the day, #70 to be exact, and re-read an interesting Top Ten list. This list was all about the top ten toughest characters around back then.
Here's who they listed as their top 10 and why:
10). The Incredible Hulk
-Despite being the strongest there is, Wizard felt that compared to the rest of the combatants on the list, the Hulk would be easily out-matched and out-powered. I'm not saying I agree, because I don't. That's just how they felt at the time.
8). Professor X
-Apparently the Wizard staffers felt that despite arguably being the most powerful telepathic mutant alive, those same powers would not help him out once it got into dealing with Spawn's fucked up mind, magic, and a super-speed/super-strength combo.
-Al was pretty powerful in his own right, but also had a very finite limit to those powers. Up against super-speed, more powerful magic than his, and the rest of the top, Al didn't rank too-too high. And I agree with that.
6). Dr. Strange
- He's up a good ways, as it should be considering his power and experience level. I just don't agree with Wally beating him, even with his considerable super-speed.
5).The Flash(Wally West)
- I'm kinda' surprised they placed Wally ahead of Dr. Strange, but otherwise I have to agree with his placing. Well I'd probably have him trade slots with Strange, but Wally did good.
4). Wonder Woman
-No surprise here that Diana ranked this high. I totally agree, as I'm sure would Karl;)
-No doubt this was the main hotly contested debates amongst the Wizard staffers that put this list together. You could easily make a case for why he's ranked behind Thor, as much as you could that he should be ahead of him.
1). Silver Surfer
So that was how it stood back in 1997. Kyle Rayner was the Green Lantern back then, and considered too green to rank. The Thing and She-Hulk were considered a step below the Hulk, and he wind up in the #10 spot. And so on.
Now, thanks to the miracle of non-time-travel, here's my revised list, 2014-style.
-It's probably because I don't think as highly of him as I did back then, but I just don't see Al beating anybody on this list. Maybe Firestorm if he can capitalize on a moment of weakness, but not likely. And I don't buy the rationale of Spawn beating Xavier due to the professor being fucked up from reading Al's mind. This is Prof. X we're talking about; he's seen war and unimaginable horrors. I just don't see Al getting he drop on him at all.
-Ronnie's got the powers and skills to be a major player. But against the rest of the guys(and gal) on this list? I don't see him getting any father in the rankings than where he is now. Sorry Firestorm.
8). Professor X
- He's the world's most powerful telepath, and yet he only ranks 8th overall. I guess if Xavier really was the heartless and cold bastard later writers have tried to portray him as, he'd rank higher. Certainly you'd think so given the range and depth of his powers. Maybe he could really put most of these guys to sleep via the power of his mind. If so, then he'd move up the ranks super-fast. Maybe he'd edge out the Hulk and Wally; maybe he wouldn't. I think I'll keep him here for now.
7). The Hulk
- Yeah I know; I normally wouldn't think of ranking Hulk this low either, but if you're ranking them in order, I don't see The Hulk getting past Wally. WW, yes. Dr. Strange? Not if the good doctor simply banishes him away. Superman? Interesting fight, but I have to give it to Supes. Thor too if Thor was played up as an actual god who kills. Poor Bruce.
6). The Flash(Wally West)
-I think this is a pretty good spot for Wally. True, he was probably destined to surpass his mentor Barry, and I believe he did speed-wise until Barry came back. Still, as powerful as he was in manipulating the Speed Force, I just don't see him getting past the rest of the pack on this list from Dr. Strange on.
5). Dr. Strange
- Like I said earlier, I'm good with the Doc placing 5th overall. Unlike Wizard that thought Dr. Strange couldn't undue the magic of the Gods, I think he could give Diana a hell of a fight. I just see his human stamina being his downfall. His body would give up before he did, thus giving WW the win. But it would't be easy, and the battle insanely long.
4). Wonder Woman
- Despite really wanting to move Dr. Strange up, I think in the end, Diana just edges him out. She's a god/part-god, so I imagine her god-like stamina(along with her other famous powers and lasso) helps her out enough in these battles to justify taking the #4 spot.
-I have to agree with his #3 ranking. I know a lot of his fans and supporters will be like "oh bullshit", but I betting that JLA/AVENGERS aside, Thor just edges out the son of Krypton in combat.
-He's a god. A true, living, breathing god. Not just mere mortal , Thor's had millenia upon millenia of combat experience. Not to mention all of the powers and tools/weapons that were bestowed upon him by his father Odin. You're not taking him out very easily.
1). Silver Surfer
-Despite not having the strength level of the Hulk, Superman, WW, or Thor, Surfer does have the power cosmic and and nigh-indestructible body, He can play the long game long no one's business, and that's what will help him in the end; even gods can tire out, but not the Surfer.
That's my list based off Wizard's. I'd have definitely used different characters for my own tough top ten(What no Wolverine? Lobo? Captain America?)
Maybe later on someday....
Let me know what you guys think, and who you're top ten would be based of the same list of characters.
Have a good weekend guys and gals;)