Wednesday, October 03, 2018

DC (Comics) In Crisis



So in case you haven't already heard, DC Comics just released the first issue of their newest mini-series "event" Heroes In Crisis. This is supposed to be a story that is heavily inspired by real-life tragedies we deal more often than it should, and places that same horror squarely in the DCU.



What I'm talking about is an instance of a mass-shooting/killing where superheroes and not ordinary civilians, occurs at a place that's supposed to be a safe haven for said superheroes. Again this is taken literally from recent headlines themselves where a huge number of kids are are being shoot and killed by fellow/former classmates in a place, an institution that's usually regarded as a safe place of learning. Instead of a school, this takes place at all call center/support center for Superheroes called Sanctuary (you know, just to further twist the knife for the reader) where superheroes can go to help deal with the typical issues and problems associated with the life a superhero has to deal with on a regular basis.

Now I'll be brutally honest; I don't like this mini-series, or the concept.



To me, as topical as this may all be, I don't feel it has a place in a fantasy world like comics.
And no, I'm not saying comics can't be more mature and adult-like, I just don't feel a topic like mass-shootings is something I want to read about in my comics when it already takes over what I watch and read in the news. I think we all usually want a safe haven of our own from the tragedies of the real world, why force this shit on comic readers?

I wrote about this issue in detail on another blog I follow, Dork Forty! by Mark Brett, and here's what I had to say in the comments' section:

"Now see I have a different opinion on Heroes In Crisis. Personally, maybe this story wouldn’t feel as cheap and sensationalistic as it does if something like this had happened to establish the concept of Sanctuary rather than to what, prove why it’s not a good idea? Seriously, other than trying to be topical, this seems like just another excuse for Didioit and Friends to satiate their blood-lust, distorting what was supposed to be a new era of hope and rebirth into just more of the same dark, pessimistic bs from before the whole Rebirth project.
I have no doubts that the deaths were handed down by editorial, so I won’t shoot the messenger, but I damn will will shoot the message.
This is where I argue that due to the subject matter, and how often it occurs in real life, we don’t need the same situation to invade a source of escapism from these types of things.
And really, other than solving a mystery as to who or whom did the killings, what’s the endgame here? This reeks of Identity Crisis, in that the identity of the culprit took a backseat to the story being told. It really didn’t matter who the killer wind up being, and I have a feeling the same thing will apply here.
It’s not like anyone will be able to stop this sort of thing from happening again, so why show it at all?"

Again, not to say that comics shouldn't ever reflect how or current society is and its troubles, but honestly, what do all these deaths really mean anyways? To what ends are they committed? It's not like there's going to be a nice little solution that neatly fixes and solves this, is there?


That and they killed of Wally West.....again......for no reason other than DC's weird obsession with killing off Flashes every time there's an event with the word "Crisis" in it.


So much for this new, so-called era of hope and positivity that Rebirth was supposed to stand for right?

I mean no sooner that Geoff Johns steps down as chief overseer-er of the comics side of DC, that Dan Didioit and Friends swoop right in and start killing off people left and right, just like they did last time. Has anyone at DC not learned their lessons with Dildo yet?



Oh well, what the hell I say. It's not like I buy or read comics anymore anyways.....


On to more positive stuff though, I just bought the newest Marvel Legends Avengers Obsidian Black BAF Wave Taskmaster figure to go with the updated one that came out a couple years back, as well as the new X-Men Apocalypse BAF Wave Gladiator figure.

And I just ordered the punk Storm figure from that same wave as well as the recent Spider-Man Series Doctor Octopus figure.





 I swear to God he looks more like Elton John than his previous figure, and I didn't even think that was possible.



No comments:

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...