Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Top 5 Songs: U2: The Joshua Tree

Happy F'N Hump Day Bitches!!!!!


Yes, I am in a good mood, thank for you asking;)

Getting right to the point of this edition of the Top 5, today I'll pick my 5 top songs from U2's album The Joshua Tree.


Why this album?

Well I was strongly considering either Badfinger or Thin Lizzy, but I can't honestly pick just 5 and a tie; not gonna' happen today folks. But this album's a pretty good substitute, so off to the races shall we?

Buuuuut first, here's a bit of background info on this album:


-It was released in March of '87.
-It was the band's 5th album, but the 1st to really breakthrough into the mainstream.
-It's one of U2's best selling albums, selling over 25 million copies worldwide.
-The Joshua Tree won best album and best rock duo Grammy Awards in 1988.
-The famed Joshua Tree, for which the album was named after, grows wild in the US Southwest, and was named by Mormon miners because of it's resemblance to someone praying, like the biblical Joshua.
-The overall theme of the album was about America, and it's socio/political history

Hey, who says you can't learn anything on these things?;)


5). "In God's Country"
Really I could've just picked only 4 top songs from the album, and called it a day. But this is called Top 5, not Top 4, so I went with this one.

And it's not that bad of a song. Upbeat, despite the serious subject matter, but upbeat nonetheless compared to some of the other more somber-sounding songs on the album.

The subject matter in this one? Poverty. Yeah no jokes here on that one, but it goes to show you how political and socially-conscious Bono was even back then.

4). "With Or Without You"

How can you not like this song right? 
Okay now this just has to be about Bono's wife, but really, as with all great songs, anybody can relate to and make this song and the lyrics their own.
But why only at #4?

I just like Bullet the blue sky better really;)

3). "Bullet The Blue Sky"

Hey this song just fucking rocks!
Yes it's not exactly about the coolest subject matter out there, you know, with Bono singing about people being brutally killed over money and property and all, but it's still a killer song.

I love these lyrics as well:
"his guy comes up to me
His face red like a rose in a thorn bush
Like all the colors of a royal flush
And he's peeling off those dollar bills
Slapping them down
One hundred, two hundred
And I can see those fighter planes
And I can see those fighter planes

Across the mud huts where the children sleep
Through the alleys of a quiet city street
You take the staircase to the first floor
Turn the key and slowly unlock the door
As a man breathes into a saxophone
And through the walls you hear the city groan
Outside is America
Outside is America, America

Across the field you see the sky ripped open
See the rain through a gaping wound
Pounding on the women and children 
Who run
Into the arms
Of America"


Damn.

2). "Where The Streets Have No Name"
Would've loved to shown you the official video to this one, but unfortunately I can't because the fucking player says "Player too small".

Anyhoo, this song's like a more upbeat version of "With or without you" and "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Well it is to me.


1). "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

What can I say? The title says it all for me.
Probably like a lot of people, I can really and truly relate to the song's title. And what's best is, that the song, and title kind of leave just what exactly Bono's looking for ambiguous  And that's how it should stay, if we're to relate to the song. We're all looking and searching for something, be it peace of mind, love, happiness  a better job, a car, whatever it is, and this song is about that search.

That's why this song is #1 in my book, and my favorite off the album.

Now there us another very cool version of this song out there. Bono re-did it w/ the legendary BB King and a Gospel Choir. Wheww, its like being at church on a Sunday, the way those singers nail that song with such conviction.  They make that song sound more religious-oriented, but damn it's nice!

Here's the video:

It's like you really at church huh? Pass the offering basket!;)

And that's that for this edition of the Top 5. As always, feel free to leave comments and suggestions for your top 5 picks in the comments section.








3 comments:

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

yeah that was a good album it brings back some fond memories.

Randomnerd said...

Like I told you, I don't listen to a lot of U2, but I do like your number one pick. You're right about the vagueness in the lyrics lending an appeal to everyone. Because everyone, no matter how settled, still has something they feel is missing.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Thx guys, appreciate the comments.

Yeah, that song's tops for me, always.

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...