Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Top 5 Songs: Oasis: (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

Happy Hump Day People!!!!!!



So I was watching a decent portion of the Top 100 songs of the 90's on VH1, and man did it bring back some memories for me. Man I miss that time period like crazy! Anyways, watching the show inspired me to pick this band to talk about for today's Top 5. And that band is Oasis.

Yes Oasis.



Hey they're no strangers to The House, as I've mentioned them before in the Top 5 section, as well as a post about the Brit Pop wave of the 90's.

It's there I promise, just look it up;)

Yes, from one Brit from Liverpool to another bunch of Brits from Liverpool, today's Top 5 is all about Oasis' 2nd album, (What's The Story) Morning Glory?















Coming  out in 1995 as a follow up to their record-setting debut album, Definitely Maybe from the previous year, What's The Story followed up on the success of the 1st album, with such radio-friendly hits like "Don't Look Back in Anger", "Champagne Supernova", and the biggest single of that album, "Wonderwall"(This was also the title of a George Harrison album by the way;)

So with those choices, it's off to pick the best 5 of the bunch.

So, as Mills Lane famously said "Let's get it on!":

5). "Wonderwall"

Yes, this song's at number 5, so suck it! And trust me, if you're a big fan of this one, you're lucky I even included it. Yes I know it was the biggest hit to come out of this album(not to me it wasn't) but it was overplayed so damn much, I still don't want to hear it when it comes on the radio. It's not that it's a bad song in particular, it's just that I felt, and still do, that it's a bit played out.

I will say, this song, and the whole damn album in general, really got the music critics to: a). rightfully fawn over the band, but also b). pick up on Oasis borrowing heavily from The Beatles. This was pretty much the standard basis for their first 3 albums. And while there's nothing wrong with being a huge Beatles fan, sometimes they took the borrowing a bit too far. Yeah I know heresy from a Beatles' fan such as myself, but even I have to point that out. 

4). "Morning Glory"
















How can you not love the starting lyrics to this one right?
"All your dreams are made, while you're chained to the mirror and a razor blade."
Now if they aren't talking about a guy/gal doing coke(and the drinkable soda kind) than I don't what the hell they're referring to.

It's a bombastic song(yes I said bombastic) that kicks all the right amount of ass, getting you pumped for either a workout session, maybe a job interview, sex(hey, it could happen;), or even yes, doing drugs(as if you needed to be pumped up to do 'em;)

This one definitely shows off Liam's vocals, as it just seems like he's screaming, not singing the song at you. Love it.


3). "Don't Look Back in Anger"

The beginning of both the song and music video either rips-off or pays homage to John Lennon's beloved hit "Imagine" depending on your point of view. Either way, you can't deny what a beautiful song this one was built around that famous intro. 

I don't know if Noel Gallagher wrote this song for him and his brother, or just the world in general, but damn what a song to get behind right?

Songs like this make me wonder sometimes just where Noel gets his inspiration from, because looking at the guy, and knowing about his infamous knock-down, drag-out fights w/his brother Liam, you'd never think Don't Look Back in Anger came out of him.


2). "She's Electric"

I'm sure anyone in Liam's shoes, knows all too well about the situation poor Liam's in regarding this one. 
"She's electric, she's got a family full of eccentrics. She's done things I never expected, and I need more time."

Yep. Liam could be talking about the girl next door, or the girl next door to a trailer park, and you'd still get the jist of this one. Basically, I think, it's about  guy having a hard time committing to this one girl who wants him to be, you know, committed to her. Or something like that. He obviously likes her, and her family, but he's still not quite sure about going full speed ahead on this one.

It's a charmingly funny song if I've ever heard one, with the right amount of cheeky lyrics and catchy, pop-ish tune.


1). "Champagne Supernova"


Hey, this song deserves to be in the top spot!
Talking about getting high? Check.
Talking about getting drunk? Check.
Talking about tripping out on LSD/'Shrooms, or anything else that'll make you trip balls? Check, check, and double-check.

It's an unintentional(or is it?) druggie anthem, and for that we thank you(Thanks Tosh;)
Plus it's just a really, really damn good song, so there.

As always, let know whether you agree or disagree with my list, and feel free to add yours.

8 comments:

Randomnerd said...

I would have left Wonderwall off and put Cast No Shadow in. I love that one. And it doesn't grate on my nerves the way Wonderwall does after all these years. But you're right, it's most likely because it was overplayed. And damn straight about Supernova at number one. I had that sucker on repeat. Good one mate.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Yeah that is a good one. Like I said I only included Wonderwall because it was such a big hit from that album, otherwise, I could leave it myself.

They're all really good, solid songs on that album, even the intro to Champagne Supernova. Glad you agree with it's top billing, because to me it's the best of the bunch.

Glad you stopped by and enjoyed the post.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Oh, and it was a true pleasure to chat with you on Facebook as well. I miss talking about classic rock with someone as pretty well-versed and knowledgeable in that area as I am;)

You fucking rock!

Randomnerd said...

It's was lovely chatting with you as well! It is nice when you get someone who actually knows who those bands are, and then can actually slip the name of one of their songs into conversation, well, that's like cream cheese frosting on a red velvet cupcake.
:)

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

It's a lost art I tell ya', a lost art. Unless you wanna' talk about the current crappy bands that all sound alike;)

Randomnerd said...

I can do that too, but all those conversations tend to go in a Roundabout. ;)

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

YES, YES they do;)

Randomnerd said...

;D

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...