Tuesday, June 27, 2017

SWAG Showcase



Well this mostly pertains to last week, but I figured it was long overdue to gloat and show my new SWAG off.

First up is Rob Schrab's Scud, The Whole Shebang, which is the entire and complete collection of Scud stories ever published.



In case he doesn't look familiar to you, Scud was an early 90's indie creation of Schrab's, who himself is a gifted animator who's worked on other various projects and media since creating Scud. Like oh, say working on the Sarah Silver Project show to name one.

Scud the disposable robot, is just what the name says; he's a robot assassin you can buy out of a vending machine to hire to kill someone or someones. He's then programmed to self-destruct after completing said mission, except in Scud's case, he finds out about that last part, and decides he wants to live. What follows is him taking on these missions that go hilariously wrong in order to earn money to keep his last target alive.

Schrab worked on the series for a while before temporarily stopping to pay the bills, and then came back in 2007 to finally finish the series his way.
This is that collection that collects all 28 issues of the series.

Very much worth reading, especially if you're a big Deadpool fan because there's A LOT of similarities in humor and style between the two.

Oh, did I mention that Dan Harmon, of Community and Rick and Morty fame, co-wrote the Scud series? Yeah, that same Dan Harmon.

Oh, and FYI, Scud has the distinction of being one of the very rare few indie comic characters to boast having his own video game.

 I played a copy of it way back in the day on my Sega Saturn (remember those kids? Probably not)

Next up, the DC Icons Deathstoke the Terminator and Marvel Legends Moon Knight.





































Don't tell Slade, but he was definitely an impulse purchase, much in the same vein as the new Marvel Select Odin/Destroyer figure I bought 2 weeks ago.


I already have a Deathstroke figure on my shelf, the DCUC version, but for some reason the DC Icons one beckoned out to me to buy it, even though it's much smaller than the DCUC version.

Still he's not bad, and you get a set of interchangeable hands, some weapons, like finally getting his famous comic-accurate sword, a staff and gun, and an interchangeable unmasked head. I guess those options in total ultimately won me over. I guess a fun little skit between the two would be fun to make in the future.

Then there's the Marvel Legends Moon Knight (He's from the BAF movie Vulture Wings wave)

Fun story about him, I was originally trying to get the Cosmic Powers Spider-Man figure, and I saw him on Amazon really briefly for $19.99 on Amazon. That isn't the usual asking price on Amazon, and when I went out to go buy an Amazon card to get the figure, when I came back, he was already sold out for that price. That fucking quick! Bummed, I looked around, intent to buy other shit instead, and right at the last minute, found this Moon Knight figure for the same $19.99!!! JOY!!! Because I assure you neither him, not the Spider-Man since, have that $19.99 price. More like double that amount plus shipping.

This Moon Knight is waaaaay better than the first Hasbro ML version by far, so go me.

Finally, I bought the Marvel Legends Adam Warlock figure from the GoTG 2nd wave.
He comes with his then current look that you see here, the look he had when he was briefly a member while Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning were writing the Guardians back before Bendis fucked it all up and the team got Movie-tized.

He comes with an interchangeable Magus head, his evil version of himself, who I decided should use the spare Dr. Strange body that came with the Dr. Strange movie wave thanks to a suggestion by my buddy Googum. Thanks pal, it really looks good on him.


So that's my SWAG, may it ever be so humble;)

No comments:

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...