Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Dream Team: Youngblood



I know I've probably mentioned this before, well at least I have on Twitter (Trust me I'm there and you should see the shit I post and retweet on there) but if you haven't already heard creator Rob Liefield has essentially lost the rights to his creation Youngblood.

 

I'll leave you guys a link below to an article that explains the whole thing in detail, here.

Basically, when Liefield's Awesome Entertainment company (which was founded in 1997) went bust in 2000, Liefield and his business partners each got a certain number of Liefield's creations from his catalogue as a means of financial compensation.

Liefield's ex-business partner, Scott Rosenberg kept the rights to Youngblood and decided to carry publishing the title w/o Liefield, and after much back and forth between the two, thus Liefield backed off and has made peace that Youngblood's no longer owns his creation.

Sad, and fucked up? Oh yeah! I'm not huge Liefield supporter these days for various reasons, but even I have to agree that Rob got fucked on this one, and that no creator should be forced to lose the rights to his creation, unless he wanted to.

Hey, I'll readily admit it; back in the early 90's during Image Comics' heyday, I was a HUGE fan from '92-'96. More so of Rob's stuff then Spawn and some of the others. I'd later gravitate towards Savage Dragon as well, and Jim Lee and Marc Silvestri's books were equally competing from my money back then as well, so trust me, I'm coming at this article from a genuine place of love.

Anyhoo, today I'm focusing on the team and who I'd like to see on it if they were being published today, which they're supposed to be, but we'll see.

This is strictly my take on who I feel should be on the team, and spoilers, with one or two exceptions, must of them will be from the era I read Youngblood, not the new additions and rosters since then.




1). Shaft (Team Leader)



He's always been the leader in just about every other incarnation of the team ever since he was chosen to replace Battlestone. There's no reason to not keep him there in that position.

2). Diehard

I've always liked his design, he's more robot than man, so can do all sorts of shit with him.

3). Chapel


Chapel's always stood out from the team, and that's mainly because he's always been a merc or CIA assassin. My reason for initially placing him in the team is that he's a CIA/government plant to observe and report back to the US government about the team, and "clean up" anything that needs cleaning up. He'd eventually be removed from the team later down the line.



4). Badrock


The only other teen on the team besiews Suprema, and a hell of a powerhouse. Plus he's an OG member more or less.

5). Vogue


She's the Black Widow to Shaft's Captain America/Hawkeye. Every group needs a hot Russian spy figure on a team these days right?

6). Cougar




































He's a good character overall and is a human/cat-person hybrid. That should make for some fun drama.

7). Suprema 


I mean if Youngblood's supposed to be like the Teen Titans, then Suprema's your Wonder Girl analogue right there. A hell of a powerhouse and the kid sister to Liefield's version of Superman but w/ an attitude problem, Supreme. She'll be a great addition to the team. Maybe she can hook up with Badrock?

So that's my thoughts for a Youngblood team. I'm sure everyone has their version or interpretation, and this one just happens to be mine. If you have your own Youngblood dream roster, let me know in the comments' section. 

No comments:

"Closing time. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

Well..... I kinda always knew this day would come, and it sure has. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to for it end. Ti...